Milwaukee LISC: Bess Earl, 414-930-1758 / [email protected]
Greater Newark LISC: Nakeefa Garay, 201-736-8293 / [email protected]
WHO: 10 Resident Leaders from Milwaukee’s Harambee and Amani neighborhoods, 10 Resident Leaders from Newark’s Fairmont and Vailsburg neighborhoods, LISC Newark, and LISC Milwaukee, & Shared Studios Portals curators Divad Sanders & Lewis Lee.
WHEN: Friday, June 24, 2016
· 12:00 – 12:30 PM CT: Separate resident group discussions in Milwaukee and Newark
· 12:30 – 1:00 PM CT: Portal discussion
· Milwaukee: Shared Portal at 2320 West Burleigh Street, Milwaukee, WI 53206
· Newark: Shared Portal at Military Park, 51 Park Place, Newark, NJ 07102
The residents will connect virtually through high-tech “Portals.” The portals are repurposed shipping containers equipped with immersive audio and video technology. Full-body screens will enable the groups to converse in real-time as if they are in the same room. The portals were created by Shared Studios; there are currently 27 of them around the world.
WHAT: Local Initiatives Support Corporation (LISC) will facilitate a virtual meeting between local resident leaders in Milwaukee and Newark to discuss strategies for improving public safety through community engagement.
LISC already has robust resident-led community safety initiatives in place in Newark and Milwaukee. At this virtual meeting, the local groups that have taken part in these programs will benefit from talking about their past experiences, including successes and achievements, lessons learned, and best practices.
Topics to be discussed include:
· Techniques for successful engagement with local law enforcement
· Strategies for increasing community involvement in resident-led safety initiatives
· Experiences with Crime Prevention Through Environmental Design (CPTED) and the strengths and limitations of this approach
· Tactics for organizing residents in opposition to a “problem business” (for example, a liquor store or problematic corner store)
· Strategies for organizing residents around problem properties or problem landlords
*** Interviews, photos, and video opportunity ***
About Shared Studios & Portals
Portals is a global public arts initiative. Each Portal is a gold shipping container equipped with immersive audio and video technology inside. When you enter one, you come face-to-face with someone in a distant Portal and can converse live, full-body, and making eye contact, as if in the same room. Shared Studios coordinates each golden portal, utilizing designated Portal Curators. Curators promote dialogue among participants during scheduled city time slots. For more information about the Portals initiatives in Milwaukee and Newark, please contact Lewis Lee (Portal Curator for Milwaukee, Wisconsin) or Divad Sanders- (Portal Curator for Newark, New Jersey). For general information about the Portals initiative, please visit our website at www.sharedstudios.com