More than 60 girls and women kidnapped by Nigeria’s Boko Haram have escaped their captors, a security source told Agence France Presse on Sunday.
The women who escaped had been abducted from Kummabza village in late June. Boko Haram is still holding more than 200 schoolgirls abducted about two months ago from a school in Chibok.
Abbas Gava, a local vigilante who has been working with Nigerian security officials, told AFP that the women made a break for it late Friday when the militants left to stage an attack. An anonymous high-level security source confirmed the escape to AFP.
Nigerian news website Premium Times earlier reported the escape, also citing an anonymous top security officer, though that report seems to no longer be accessible on its website.
Click here for full article.