CNN producers have been told not to book the former correspondent.
by Richard Prince, The Root
“The TV world can be so cold. When you’re out, you’re out. And sometimes sooner than you might expect,”Betsy Rothstein wrote Thursday for FishbowlDC.
“There are 17 days left on Roland Martin‘s CNN contract. But the powers that be appear to be shutting it down early. With his contract ending April 6, some producers have been informed not to book him, FishbowlDC has learned. We knew something was awry when we noticed Martin hadn’t tweeted his usual #bringthefunk alert on Twitter that he’d be appearing on [Erin Burnett’s] ‘Out Front,’ which he hasn’t done in a month. On Wednesday he tweeted that he did Canadian TV. The Canadians can find time to bring Martin’s funk, but not CNN?
“Let’s get this straight. That semi-usual appearance he had on Thursdays during Carol Costello’s slot? Gone. It’s been three weeks since he appeared on her program and months since he appeared on ‘The Situation Room.’ He was also [nonexistent] during CNN Inauguration coverage in January. A final appearance on his close friend, Soledad O’Brien’s program, which ends next week? That appears to be a dead end proposition, too. . . .”
Martin told Journal-isms he had nothing to say about the report, and a CNN spokeswoman did not respond to an inquiry.
Meanwhile, Martin disclosed that he actually learned in December that his contract was not being renewed. He left the impression until this week that no decision had been made.
In an interview with Brooke Obie of Ebony, Martin said, “Well, I was actually told in December by Ken Jautz, the executive vice president [of CNN], that the contract wasn’t going to be renewed. [CNN President] Jeff Zucker has a vision for the network and wants to see different faces and I get that. I enjoyed working there, I have a lot of colleagues that I have grown to like and respect at CNN and so the bottom line is you work in places and then you move on. . . .”
Obie also asked, “But with the loss of Soledad O’Brien and now you, and Jeff Zucker naming Jake Tapperthe ‘face of the new CNN,’ do you think that the vision Zucker has for CNN may be a ‘White-out?’ “
Martin replied, “Look, I don’t know. We haven’t seen the full vision [of Zucker yet]. That determination will have to be made later; it’s very early in the game. That’s pretty much all I can say to that.
“One of the things I always talk about is having multiple opportunities, multiple platforms and revenue streams to be able to lay out your message. At CNN, I just come in when they call, but I have had the advantage of having other platforms where I was able to talk to cabinet secretaries and the First Lady and the Vice President, the President and Senators. And I think that what’s most important is, I’ve always kept a foot in Black media. I’m absolutely committed to building up Black media and I think that is absolutely important in 2013 that we have strong Black cable networks, strong Black websites, magazines, and newspapers where we’re able to focus on our issues and our stories and highlight our people and not necessarily wait for somebody else to do it. . . .
“I start every job with the premise, ‘You’re going to get fired anyway.’ I’ve lost jobs before, I’ve had contracts not renewed and it didn’t get me down. I didn’t get upset, I just keep it moving. . . .”
October 9, 2015 //
Associated Press via Huff Post Black Voices NEW YORK (AP) — Atlanta Hawks' player Thabo...
October 8, 2015 //
by Cristie Leondis :posted 10/6/15 -Blackenterprise.com On Monday Oct. 5, Misty Co...