Charlotte, NC— The Democratic National Committee has posted online the 2012 Democratic Party Platform, which was officially adopted by the Delegates to the Convention on Tuesday, September 4.
The Party Platform articulates clearly President Obama’s vision for moving our country forward by restoring economic security and building an economy that is built to last.
The Democratic Party Platform reflects
President Obama’s vision for the future. Meanwhile, the Republican Party, led by Mitt Romney and Paul Ryan, approved a platform that supports the same top-down economic policies that hurt the middle class and embraces extreme positions on issues and policies from Medicare to immigration to women’s health.
In July, the Platform Drafting Committee, chaired by former Governor Ted Strickland, met in Minneapolis to receive input from the public and to write the first draft of the Platform. Then on August 11, members of the Platform Committee, chaired by Mayor Cory Booker and retired Lt. Gen. Claudia Kennedy, met in Detroit. At the Platform Committee Meeting in Detroit, committee members submitted amendments to the draft Platform before unanimously approving the draft and sending it to Charlotte for the vote by delegates during the convention.
The follwoing is an outline of the Platform:
REBUILDING MIDDLE CLASS SECURITY
• Putting Americans Back to Work
• The Middle Class Bargain
• Cutting Waste, Reducing the Deficit, Asking All to Pay Their Fair Share
• Economy Built to Last
AMERICA WORKS WHEN EVERYONE PLAYS BY THE SAME RULES
• Wall Street Reform
• 21st Century Government:
• Transparent and Accountable
Lobbying Reform and Campaign Finance Reform
• Strengthening the American Community
• Protecting Rights and Freedoms
• Ensuring Safety and Quality of Life
STRONGER IN THE WORLD, SAFER AND MORE SECURE AT HOME
• Responsibly Ending the War in Iraq
• Disrupting, Dismantling, and Defeating Al-Qaeda
• Responsibly Ending the War in Afghanistan
• Preventing the Spread and Use of Nuclear Weapons
• Countering Emerging Threats
• Strengthening Alliances, Expanding Partnerships, and Reinvigorating International Institutions
• Promoting Global Prosperity and Development
• Maintaining the Strongest Military in the World
• Advancing Universal Values “Four years ago, Democrats, independents, and many Republicans came together as Americans to move our country forward, reads the preamble to the Plaform titled: “Moving America Forward.”
We were in the midst of the greatest economic crisis since the Great Depression, the previous administration had put two wars on our nation’s credit card, and the American Dream had slipped out of reach for too many.
“Today, our economy is growing again, al-Qaeda is weaker than at any point since 9/11, and our manufacturing sector is growing for the first time in more than a decade. But there is more we need to do, and so we come together again to continue what we started. We gather to reclaim the basic bargain that built the largest middle class and the most prosperous nation on Earth – the simple principle that in America, hard work should pay off, responsibility should be rewarded, and each one of us should be able to go as far as our talent and drive take us.
“This election is not simply a choice between two candidates or two political parties, but between two fundamentally different paths for our country and our families.”
July 22, 2014 //
“That’s what ‘My Brother’s Keeper’ is all about. Helping more of our young people stay...
July 21, 2014 //
Christopher Mathias Carly Schwartz Huff Post Black Voices Eric Garner was...