Menomonee Falls–Black Friday deals are getting a head start on Thursday night so it’s even more important to beware of your budget while shopping in the stores or online.
“It’s easy for people to get caught up in the shopping bonanza and spend more than they planned or
can afford,” said Steve Kirst, branch manager of Citizens Bank in Menomonee Falls.
“That’s even more important this year as some of the major retailers are opening their doors to sales on Thanksgiving evening to entice shoppers. For many, the end result is they will spend more money than anticipated and blow their budgets.”
To avoid this happening to you, Kirst suggests the following:
• Set a budget and stick to it – Review your finances and determine how much you can afford to spend on gifts. You always want to make sure you have enough funds to still cover your regular monthly expenses.
• Make a shopping list – Identify what presents you are thinking of buying and make sure they fit within your budget. Be sure to stick to the list when shopping.
• Comparison shop – Retailers typically promote the sales in advance of Black Friday. Review store advertisements and do research online for the best prices. If you feel items are overpriced, wait a few days to see if the item goes on sale or look for an alternative gift.
• Monitor your spending closely – As you buy items, be sure to check them off your shopping list as well as compare what you thought it would cost to what you actually paid. If the price is the same or less than what you estimated, then great. If it’s more than what you expected, either pass on the item or revise the rest of your spending accordingly.
• Avoid impulse buys – One of the hardest things to do when shopping is avoiding the impulse buy, particularly when things are marked on sale. Stick to your shopping list. If you find a deal you just can’t pass up, then drop something of equal value off your list.
“Following these simple tips will help you have a happy and joyous holiday season,” Kirst said.
May 22, 2015 //
JANESVILLE, WIS._ May 19th, 2015 - Blain's Farm and Fleet donates light bulbs to the Janesville Pol...
April 29, 2015 //
Milwaukee, Wisc. April 29, 2015 -- NAIOP, the Commercial Real Estate Development Association, Wiscon...