Madison, WI – The Wisconsin Board for People with Developmental Disabilities (BPDD) is accepting applications for SPARKS Grants until Aug. 1, 2014. The purpose of SPARKS Grants is to organize grassroots groups that identify and make changes in their communities to improve the lives of people with disabilities.
Past examples of successful grants include:
- the development of an accessible city park in Oshkosh
- the expansion of the public transportation system in Wausau
- the creation of an accessible community garden and kitchen in Stevens Point
“The impact that a relatively small amount of money from SPARKS Grants have had on numerous communities all across Wisconsin is impressive,” said Beth Swedeen, BPDD Executive Director. “These projects have used innovative methods to improve the lives of people with disabilities and bring communities together. Most important, SPARKS grants are developed and run by people with disabilities and their families.”
The following are priority activities for 2014 SPARKS Grants:
- Form a local social justice or civic group that includes people with and without disabilities (e.g., a school group)
- Engage in local community advocacy (e.g., expanding community employment opportunities for people with disabilities)
- Organize a local People First chapter
SPARKS Grants are available to people with developmental disabilities and family members in Wisconsin. Projects are funded for $500-$3,000. More information and the application is available on the BPDD website at www.wi-bpdd.org. The deadline to apply for 2014 SPARKS Grants is 12 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 1, 2014.
BPDD was established to advocate on behalf of individuals with developmental disabilities, foster welcoming and inclusive communities, and improve the disability service system. BPDD’s mission is to help people with developmental disabilities become independent, productive, and included in all facets of community life.
May 29, 2015 //
For Immediate Release Wednesday, May 27, 2015 Contact: Joe Scialfa or Kathleen Scho...
April 22, 2015 //
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: April 21, 2015 CONTACTS: Carla Cluni...