Low cost beginner classes, Prams in the Park open for all ages at a variety of times
It’s not too late for Milwaukeeans to make 2010 the year they try their hands at sailing. An activity many have wanted to try or expose their children to, sailing is accessible to all, regardless of age, experience or time restraints with the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center’s adult basic sailing courses, youth courses, “Prams in the Park” program or private lessons.
Basic Adult Sailing Courses
Making learning to sail safe, easy and fun, classroom and on-the-water practice are combined. The adult basic course may result in an “air rating,” which allows sailors to get free use of MCSC boats in the conditions for which they are rated. Available day and evening classes:
- July 12-15 and 19-22, 9 a.m.-noon
- July 19-22 and 26-29, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- Women-only class: July 19-22 and 26-29, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- July 26-29, August 2-5, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- August 2-5 and 9-12, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- August 9-12 and 16-19, 9 a.m.-noon
- August 9-12 and 16-19, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- August 23-26, 30, September 2, 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- August 23-26, 30, September 2, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- September 7-10 and 13-16, 5:30 p.m.-sunset
- Friday, August 20, 5:30 p.m.-sunset; Saturday and Sunday, August 21-22, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Friday, September 3, 5:30 p.m.-sunset; Saturday and Sunday, September 4-5, 9:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Youth Basic Sailing (Ages 12-17)
This popular, hands-on course introduces the basics of sailing and water safety. This Level 1 course is taught with instructors on the boats. Available youth classes:
- July 19-22 and 26-29, 9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.
- August 2-5 and 9-12, 9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.
A nationally recognized youth sailing introduction program, “Prams in the Park” includes instruction in basic water safety, rigging, sail theory, basic maneuvering and practice capsize recovery under MCSC instructor supervision. Youth are taught on the Juneau Park or Discovery World lagoons. Level 1 sections available (scholarships may be available):
- July 12-16, 9 a.m.-noon
- July 26-30, 1-4 p.m.
- August 9-13, 9 a.m.-noon or 1-4 p.m.
Private lessons and the “Family Learn-to-Sail” program are also available. Membership with the Milwaukee Community Sailing Center is required for most classes, which is available at low cost and includes access to the MCSC’s facilities and maintained fleet of boats. For more information or to enroll in any of the MCSC’s programs, visit www.sailingcenter.org or call 414-277-9094.
Following basic sailing instruction, sailors have a variety of options with the MCSC. Open sailing events such as Open Fridays, Saturday morning Spinnaker Club and Sunday Racing offers opportunities for sailors to be evaluated for air ratings by staff, as well as occasions to socialize and sail with others. Intermediate and advanced classes are encouraged for those who would like to continue improving their skills.
The Milwaukee Community Sailing Center (MCSC) is a non-profit 501 (C) (3) agency providing educational and recreational sailing programs to the greater Milwaukee community. Those who wish to gain access to Lake Michigan and learn to sail are welcome at the MCSC regardless of age, ability or financial concerns. The MCSC offers sailing instruction, membership access to its fleet of 80 sailboats, and outreach programs that use sailing as a tool to touch the lives of a diverse population – adults, youths and persons with disabilities, with a focus on innovative and character-building learning experiences. For more information, visit www.sailingcenter.org or call 414-277-9094.