A nationwide initiative to strengthen fathers will use a unique form of “social” media… the barbershop. These neighborhood businesses have been a traditional gathering place for men to discuss issues in the community. During Father’s Day weekend on Saturday, June 16, some Milwaukee shops will become places where men can also get information on fatherhood.
President Obama’s Fatherhood Initiative will hold its first Fatherhood Buzz in eight cities across the nation including Milwaukee. Nine barbershops in Milwaukee will be among those nationwide participating in the special day. They will offer customers local and national fatherhood resources as well as talk up responsible fatherhood and parenting.
Representatives from partnering organizations and programs will be present at the shops between 9am and 1pm to talk with men who come to the businesses. Those organizations include the Social Development Commission, Compel, Center for Self Sufficiency, the Milwaukee Fatherhood Initiative, the Milwaukee County Department of Child Support, and the Milwaukee Brewers.
Participating barbershop where the Fatherhood Buzz is being held are:
- Gee’s Clippers* 4323 W. Fond du Lac Avenue
- Taso’s Hair Studio* 1031 W. Mitchell Street
- The Original Hair King* 4254 W. Fond du Lac Avenue
- Brew City 2554 W. Fond du Lac Avenue
- Collier Creations 6802 W. Villard Avenue
- Dep’s House of Fades 2700 W. Lisbon Avenue
- Flip ‘N’ Styles 2637 W. Greenfield Avenue
- Hair Arkitekts 2663 S. Kinnickinnic Avenue
- Ronnie’s Barber Shop 3714 W. Center Street
Media are encouraged to visit one of the first three barbershops (*) to interview barbers, customers and community partner organizations about the Fatherhood Buzz day, the importance of building stronger responsible fathers, and the resources that are available to them.
For more information on the Fatherhood Buzz in Milwaukee, visit the national website at http://www.fatherhood.gov/fatherhood-buzz/cities/milwaukee-wi.