By Derrick Lane –Blackdoctor.org
BlackDoctor.org is excited to be invited for the a third time to The White House to participate in a Dialogue on Men’s Health.
The event, created by President Obama, features Broderick Johnson, White House Cabinet Secretary and Chair of the My Brother’s Keeper Task Force, and U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy. Throughout this event, administration officials from the White House and the Department of Health and Human Services, as well as select stakeholders, will highlight the current state of men’s health and discuss strategies for actively engaging men in their health.
BlackDoctor.org CEO, Reggie Ware, will be in attendance.
“This is a great opportunity for BlackDoctor.org to leverage our 15 million monthly user reach to change the course of Black men in this country,” explains Ware. “For the first time in years, African Americans are becoming more informed, excited and engaged in health.”
The stats that face black men are staggering:
- 37.9 Percent of black or African American men 20 years and over who are obese
- 14.6 Percent of Black men in only fair or poor health
- 39.9 Percent of non-Hispanic black or African American men 20 years and over with hypertension
- Top 3 Causes of death in Black men are: (1) Heart disease, (2) Cancer, (3) Stroke
- 34.9 Percent of adults 18 years and over have never been tested for HIV
“With BlackDoctor.org’s unique platform, we provide how-to-do-it, you-can-do-it content to give people a real opportunity to change their health. We’re excited to partner with The White House and the Obama Administration to create the perfect storm that combines health experts, relevant and timely content, and a community that is wanting, willing and waiting for this information,” says Ware.
The Dialogue on Men’s Health was held on January 8, 2016.
For a follow up on what initiatives were discussed, click here.