In today’s fast-paced world, it is no wonder that stress and anxiety play a huge role in many people’s lives. Improper money management, scheduling and life in itself can cause emotional turmoil. Or sometimes it isn’t that deep at all. It is possible to wake up feeling “Blah” for no explainable reason. Before you panic and make yourself more anxious or sad try these mood-enhancing solutions.
1) Become more active. If you’re at your desk most of the day, stand up as often as possible. Take the stairs instead of the elevator or a brisk 10-minute walk. Walking produces stress-reducing hormones that promote alertness and cheerfulness.
2) Pack a balanced lunch. Eat foods rich in vitamin B, zinc and omega 3s. These nutrients have been proven to reduce stress levels. So don’t go for the pizza slice. Instead, have a tuna salad or grilled chicken wrap! Leafy green veggies are always a plus. Also, remember to drink plenty of water, especially with lemon. The scent of citrus fruit can restore your energy pronto.
3. Prioritize and Organize. Clutter and chaos are the two major causes of workplace anxieties. From stray files to scattered books, clutter can make you lose focus and stall productivity. Declutter your outer environment and you may feel more organized and better able to concentrate on the task at hand. Crossing an item off your to-do list will give you a rush of elation.
4) Create a more serene environment. Adding splashes of your favorite color, pictures of your loved ones and/or your favorite plant can create a comfortable and more intimate space. We all have natural reactions to certain things—the color yellow can make you feel more peaceful; a bunch of daffodils, more optimistic.
5) Fake it ’til you feel it. Research shows that even an artificially induced smile boosts your mood. And if you’re smiling, other people will perceive you as being friendlier and more approachable.
If sour moods are a habitual state for you, then you may want to seek professional help. There’s no shame in seeking help. Be, honest, be open, be positive, and be healthy.
Coach P. is a Holistic, Nutrition and Green Living Coach. She is the chief editor of Lavish Green Life. In 2013 she founded Herbalosophy101– A holistic health and wellness practice that specializes in nutrition coaching.