Twenty-five women entrepreneurs from the Washington, D.C. area were selected to receive the 2013 Women of Color Award from 100 Black Men of Greater Washington, D.C.
Presented in partnership with the Women Presidents’ Organization, the awards are based upon the success of these distinguished business leaders and for service to the community.
The awards reception, which will be hosted by the 100 Black Men of Greater Washington, D.C. and sponsored by IBM and UPS, will be held on Friday, October 25th at the City Club of Washington.
Privately held women-owned and –led firms provided a net increase in employment opportunities that have significantly strengthened the U.S. economy. All award recipients were identified by the 100 Black Men of Greater Washington, D.C., in conjunction with the WPO Chapter Chairs in Washington, D.C., Northern Virginia and Baltimore. To be qualified for this honor and as a WPO member, businesses are required to be owned or led by a woman and have reached annual revenues of at least $2 million (or $1 million for a service-based business).
“As an organization we are known for our mentorship of young men, but in reality we come in contact with just as many young women with dreams and high aspirations. It is important for us that we can point to high achieving women and put them in front of our youth so they may engage and model their behavior,” said Michael E. Melton, President 100 Black Men of Greater Washington, D.C.
The following women will be honored:
- Tracy Balazs, RN, Federal Staffing Resources
- Michelle Bell, PHR, 1st Choice Staffing Agency
- La Shaun J. Berrien, Ph.D., The Berrien Caldwell Group, LLC
- Kimberly Brown, Ph.D. Amethyst Technologies
- Maxine Clark, DDS, Maxine V. Clark DDS, PA
- Jennifer Collins, CMP, The Event Planning Group
- Valarie Dock, Bolana Enterprise Inc.
- Brenda Doles, RN, HealthCare Resolution Services Inc.
- Jean Drummond, HCD International
- Erika Flora, Beyond20
- Twyla Garrett Ph.D., Investment Management Enterprise Inc.
- Amsale Geletu, PMS Parking Inc.
- Sonja Hines, H&S Resources Corporation
- Barbara Hutchinson, MD, Chesapeake Cardiac Care PA
- Sheila Lee, Sheila Lee & Associates
- Cidalia Luis, M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.
- Natalie Luis, M. Luis Construction Co., Inc.
- Angela Marshall, MD, Comprehensive Women’s Health
- Gina Merritt, Northern Real Estate Urban Ventures, LLC
- Necole Parker, The ELOCEN Group, LLC
- Shina Parker, Integrity Title & Excrow Company
- Zerita Ross, Ross Insurance Agency
- Nakia Stith, Top of the Clock, Inc.
- Lorena Streb, Streb Enterprises
- Denise Van Wyngaardt, Indigo IT, LLC
“We are very proud to continue our ongoing partnership with 100 Black Men of America to recognize an influential group of women business owners. Each one is at the peak of her professional and personal achievement, demonstrating outstanding leadership qualities running multi-million dollar businesses that promote economic security while also lending their time and energy to local community projects. They are truly role models for women and girls everywhere,” said Marsha Firestone Ph.D., President and Founder of the Women Presidents’ Organization.
“IBM is proud to sponsor the Women Presidents’ Organization (WPO) Women of Color Receptions for the second year. I applaud WPO and the 100 Black Men of America for creating and continuing these events to recognize outstanding women of color business owners and their success,” said Denise Evans, IBM Vice President, Market Development. She added “According to the Census Bureau’s Survey of Business Owners, the 157,000 women of color owned employer companies generated more than $122 billion in 2007 revenues and Latino owned companies are the fastest growing, in number, of all businesses. IBM Market Development wants to ensure women of color business owners understand how to leverage information technology to accelerate the growth and success of their businesses. We congratulate the honorees of this event
January 27, 2015 //
by Carolyn M. Brown -Blackenterprise.com As the President and CEO of Curvy Girlz Lingerie, Prec...
January 26, 2015 //
by Nicole Cober, Esq. -Blackenterprise.com When the media and business communities highlight su...