Whether via your Facebook news feed, the juice store around the corner, or even in articles about healthy living, chances are you’ve heard of buzzword-y health foods like acai, spirulina and wheatgrass. You know these foods are healthy. But have you ever stopped to think about why they are — and whether it’s worth shelling out the extra cash for them?
We talked to Keri Gans, R.D., author of “The Small Change Diet,” to walk us through some of the more trendy health foods to explain what they are exactly, why we eat them, and whether they’re actually worth the hype.
- Acai BerriesJakob Kamender via Getty Images
- Wheatgrassweerapatkiatdumrong via Getty Images
- Chia Seedsm-chin via Getty Images
- QuinoaPaul Williams – Funkystock via Getty Images
- Spirulinamarekuliasz via Getty Images
- Nutritional YeastPhotick/I. Rozenbaum & F. Cirou via Getty Images
- Wheat GermZbigniew Ratajczak via Getty Images
- Tempehbanarfilardhi via Getty Images
- FlaxseedChris Parsons via Getty Images
- SeitanBoyrcr420 via Getty Images