Tony Tagliavia, Media Manager –MPS
MILWAUKEE – School begins August 3 for the 11 MPS schools using a year-round calendar.
To help ensure students ready to get back into classrooms, the MPS-operated schools on the calendar are hosting two back-to-school events.
The Milwaukee Public Schools year-round back-to-school events are:
- Thursday, July 23 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at MPS’ Nathaniel Hawthorne School, 6945 N. 41st Street, Milwaukee 53209, just south of Brown Deer Park near 41st and Good Hope
- Friday, July 24 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. at MPS’ Alliance School, 850 W. Walnut Street, Milwaukee 53205, just north of downtown and east of I-43
Families will have the opportunity to win backpacks and school supplies and the events include games, treats and roller skating. Limited seats are still available for the 2015-16 school year at many MPS schools and families will also have the opportunity to enroll at the events.
Children enrolled in Milwaukee Public Schools’ year-round schools should be in school all day, every day – starting with “Day One,” the very first day of school. Research shows that students who increase attendance also increase their academic success.
MPS schools on the year-round calendar have a shorter summer break but longer fall, winter and spring breaks. Students spend the same number of days in school. Limited seats are still open in some year-round schools.
Interested families may enroll at the back-to-school events or at mpsmke.com/enrollMPS. The 10 MPS-operated year-round calendar schools are:
- The Alliance School of Milwaukee (9-12)
- Community High School (9-12)
- Congress School (K4-8)
- Nathaniel Hawthorne Elementary School (K4-5)
- Ralph H. Metcalfe School (K4-8)
- River Trail School (K4-8)
- Silver Spring Elementary School (K4-5)
- Frances Brock Starms Early Childhood Center (K3-K5)
- Frances Brock Starms Discovery Learning Center (1-8)
- Wisconsin Conservatory of Lifelong Learning (K4-12)