Article courtesy of People Matters via “The Rundown”
How does an interviewer think? What are the biggest red flags that an interviewee displays without realizing? What are some of the oddest exchanges that have transpired in an interview?
A recent CareerBuilder survey answers these, and many more questions.
The survey, conducted by The Harris Poll on behalf of CareerBuilder, gathered responses from 1,014 hiring managers and human resource professionals employed mostly in the US private sector between November and December 2017.
They were asked to share deal-breakers, odd behaviors and discuss the importance of body language and the following are the findings:
10 Most Lethal Interview Mistakes
The respondents were asked to list the behaviors that would result in them writing off candidates immediately.
The following are the top ten mistakes that were considered to be the worst:
1. Candidate is caught lying about something: 71%
2. Candidate answers a cell phone or texts during the interview: 67%
3. Candidate appears arrogant or entitled: 59%
4. Candidate appears to have a lack of accountability: 52%
5. Candidate swears: 51%
6. Candidate dresses inappropriately: 50%
7. Candidate talks negatively about current or previous employers: 48%
8. Candidate knows nothing about the job or company: 45%
9. Candidate has unprofessional body language: 43%
10. Candidate knows nothing about the industry or competitors: 35%